Tuesday, October 7, 2008

...and He did!

In church last weekend our Pastor asked us to take some time to mull over a few questions this week as we are entering a new series of messages. I have already chatted with a few people about these questions/answers, but thought I'd explore them with you here! So, here goes question #1:


Where in your past have you needed God to "show up"...and He DID?


It's funny because if you know me at all, you know that I DESPERATELY need God to "show up" in my life every single day. For so many reasons unknown to me, I have been dealt a hand of cards that at first glance makes me want to fold every time! I used to have a poster in high school that said My mom says God won't give me any more than I can handle...I sure wish He didn't trust me so much! Little did I know that at the age of 32 I would be living that statement!


There are a ton of HUGE moments in my life where I needed God to show up...and He most definitely did! But, I feel like it's the smaller, every day moments that require so much more faith from me:


...the moments first thing in the morning when my son decides that his first words need to be full of hate and anger...before I've even had a chance to give him a bear hug and say "good morning"


...the moments when I've made breakfast for him and for no known reason he decides it's appropriate to show his irritation or frustration by seeing if his bowl of oatmeal can fly.


...the moments when money is so tight that I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to put gas in my car to get me to my next cleaning job and someone steals Austen's bike while it's out of our sight for only 15 minutes


...and so often the moments when I lay my head down on my pillow feeling defeated and alone, longing for a partner to share life with.


THESE are the moments that are so critical for me! These are the times that I desperately need my God to "show up"...and HE DOES!


He "shows up" by giving me the ability to take a deep breathe and not shout back hateful, angry words! And gives me the insurmountable love for my son that allows me to pull him in to my arms and hug him...and tell him how much I love him and cherish the fact that I am his mommy!


...He "shows up" by allowing that heavy ceramic bowl to hit the floor without breaking, only spilling minimal amounts of oatmeal as we have learned on so many occasions is fully capable of flying w/ a small amount of force. My God, once again, gives me the ability to hold my tongue...and discipline out of love!


...He "shows up" by bringing someone along who just happens to have a brand new bike that he wants to give to someone...and is there any chance we need one? And then he allows there to be just enough gas in my tank to get me where I need to go!


...and He "shows up" in those lonely moments by wrapping His loving arms around me...and reminding me of His promises to supply ALL of my needs and that He is the Lover of my soul...drying my tears lulls me to sleep!

Check out last weekend's message to get the background behind the questions

www.flatironschurch.com/messages Click on BRiX - Love October 4th and 5th





3 comments:

La said...

boy oh boy. Where to start?

I know those moments. i live those moments on a daily basis as well. I find that it's not a matter of whether or not my God shows up for me....it's been proven that he has never left me, he is always there. He provides reassurance and guidance for me even when i am unaware or haven't asked for it. Noticing when he "shows up" is simply that...taking notice.

I love you Jules. Can't wait to read what you write next.

Be aware....as more time goes by and i have more time to think on this blog...i will probably comment more. :)

hugs, kisses and love to you.

Nicole said...

So very proud of you for sharing these moments in your life with the blogging world. Having you in my life is one of the ways that God shows up. You are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Jules- all I can say is thank you for the reminder that all I really need to do is look because He is always there-